Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The House of Hades-Tartarus

     The House of Hades tells views from different main characters; two of which are located in the Underworld in the place of Tartarus. This place Tartarus is the place where monsters go for eternity to reform after death  and face their misery for the bad deeds done by them. Riordan describes Tartarus as a  person rather than a place which has intrigued me through the book. I never thought Tartarus could be a person but it looks and feels like one in the description provided through the book. A line I liked was, "The Doors of Death was Tartarus's heart it all made sense now." This is an important part of the story and also tells us that Tartarus is in fact a person. Along with this is talked about monsters acting like blisters on Tartarus's skin, reforming and always coming back and when they were full grown they pooped and let out monsters. This was a great metephor for the reader to understand what was happening in this Underworld.

     I feel that Tartarus really is a person, an immortal god of course but not a place anymore. This has changed my thoughts on the afterlife of these monsters, they don't go somewhere Tartarus guards them in his body, he has to be one of the oldest Gods around with a job like that. This was a fun and interesting take on the underworld and I liked every bit. It was a bit weird at first but then I got used to Percy and Annabeth climbing on Tartarus and going through him like blood in a human body. The view had changed how I viewed Percy and Annabeth's journey maybe it was like they made up Tartarus and without monsters Tartarus was without blood, he would die and shrivel up. There is always to sides to things and the monsters kept Tartarus alive and vice verse.

1 comment:

  1. Is the Mark of Athena and the House of Hades good? I haven't gotten the chance to read them, but I really want to. Is it worth reading?

    ReplyDelete