Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Final Blog Reflection


Reflection

The quality of my writing has gotten progressively better due to more practice and reading. One example of this is in my first blog post I have three grammar mistakes and in my newer post I have only one. This is a quick example of how my writing got more refined over the trimester. This helps the reader and shows improvements in quality by having not as many grammatical errors. Another example of my writing quality growth is the length of which my post was near the end compared to the beginning. You might think that this is a quantity over quality but the length of my newer post had more in it with fewer mistakes. I also added in my newer post interactive and viewer friendly comments. I asked questions like “You might ask why do I like the series so much?” I also add a closing sentence talks to the viewer, “Thats all for now, I am close to finishing the 3rd book and moving on to the 4th and by the way, they keep getting better. :)” Adding questions and comments to the reader to help them get actively engaged shows improvement on quality because I have entertained the viewer more than I did in the beginning which is a main objective to be reached in blog posts. Since I am more viewer friendly and open up the reader more they can find enjoyment through connections.  When I wrote my blog post a month after my beginning I felt that my blog posts started to achieve the blogger type writing style more than an essay type of writing. This has helped in quality because I can write in different formats and have expanded my comfort zone as a reader and increased my writing abilities.

One thing I struggled with was the ability to change my writing style by using more casual terms rather than fancy terms used in essays. I overcame this challenge to make my blogs more real and authentic by trying to write my posts as if I was talking to someone in a friendly conversation. What would I say if I was talking to my friend about the book, do I use big words with my friends, etc. I think that this change helped my quality of my blog post by creating a more authentic me reflected in my writing instead of the cheesy words to impress my teachers.  A strength I had in my posts was the dedication to reading books and telling my true feelings instead of hiding to seem normal. This strength helped a lot because I always had material to talk about where some people didn’t read and had to write a ton about Romeo and Juliet instead of books they want to read. This made it easier to want to post blogs and make them lengthier rather than getting them over with as fast as I can. I did not meet my reading goal of 10 books in the trimester which I knew was not going to achieve but pushed me to try. Last year I read a total of 10 books all year which was a pitiful amount but I wasn’t pushed to read or challenged. I was impressed that I read 6 books in the trimester and am happy with my reading abilities. Next English trimester I will try to achieve this goal. I used goodreads.com a lot to help with book recommendations which helped me get into the Heroes of Olympus series which I enjoyed a lot. I think that it helped me connect to other people through books although I stopped updating and checking near the end of the book. I have improved as a reader throughout the trimester a lot. One example is that in the beginning I read one page per minute or so and now I read 2 pages in a minute or so which helped me finish more books in a lot faster time. Another thing that I improved on as a reader was connecting with the author and the book for more enjoyment. Near the end of the trimester I read a lot more and enjoyed books a lot more also. Overall I grew as both a reader and a writer over the course of this trimester which is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment