Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What I Want To Read Next

     I have been reading The Lord of The Rings and I am on the second book so far. Many think that I will go on to read the last book in the series The Return of the King. However I have been reading the second book and I have lost interest in the series. I liked the first book but I have slowly disliked the writing style and description used in this series. Maybe one day when I have had my break I will come back to the series and read the last book but for now I have set my goals towards the Harry Potter series since I have never actually read the series. I have seen all the movies and read the first book but I want to continue this because it is a classic piece of literary genius. I have heard lots of great things about the Harry Potter series and did enjoy the first book. I have started a trend of going back and reading lots of the popular books. The harry Potter series should take me to the end of the Summer and after that who knows what I'll read. For now, I want to focus on Fantasy because I am going through a Fantasy phase.
 
     The Harry Potter series is also similar to The Lord of the Rings, not in writing style but in the structure of the characters, setting, and story. One thing that I mentioned in my last post was the fact of the death eaters whom play a similar role as the Nazgul in The Lord of the Rings. Another thing we notice is a male main character with a best friend who serves as comic relief and someone who cares about the main character a lot. My last point but definitely not the final thing in common is how the main character has parents that have died and has left them to the comfort of the Uncle's.

     I do regret however not reading the Potter series when I was younger so that way I could "grow up" with the series and perhaps it would be more special to me. Now though I will have a chance to read the books and hopefully be able to talk more in social groups.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't personally read any of the Lord of the Rings books, but I know a bunch of people that have read the entire series and they absolutely love it. I would recommend reading the last book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read this yet but it looks like a great book and it looks very interesting. I heard alot of people liked this book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian,
    I really like how you recognize some of the things you like to read. I think that as both a reader and writer, this is an important step in progressing and finding yourself. I noticed that you are into fantasy novels, which is something I also enjoy. Maybe we could get together and look at some fantasy novels, sometime!
    Love
    Nihar

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writing style may be different than what you're used to since it was written in the 50's, but in my opinion it is a good book nonetheless. You might want to finish it and go on to the third book, which is shorter and also really good (except for the end). However, do what you want because YOLO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian, I have not read the lord of the rings series but I have heard people rave about them nonstop. I highly recommend you read the series all the way through. Even if you dont like the last book you will still have closure at least.

    ReplyDelete